Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ballyclare, UK

I'm in the UK and work for the NHS I have been on sick leave for 3 years. I got my medical retirement turned down as they said my condition fluctuates and I have 20 years to retirement age.
How to a challenge this statement on appeal? For the last three years I haven't had one good day I go from bad to worse but I suppose in 20 years it could change....

June 16, 2018
 · 
Reactions
A MyFibroTeam Member

Hi i dont know how it works in the NHS - are there 3 levels of ill health retirement ? We have 3 in local governent. I did get ill health retirement tier 1 - but i do have other conditions that probably swung it for me - osteo arthritis, with permanent partial subluxation (dislocation) of collarbone, costochondiritis - rib danage from radiotherapy for previous breast cancer and an auto immune disorder - the OH drs said level 2 that - i coukdnt carry out my current job and unable to work for 3 years they based this on the fibro and chronic fatigue fluctuating. But my managers and pension dept agreed level 1. I argued that fibro CFS are incurable, permanent chronic and whilst they may fluctuate but still on my good days i woukd not be well enough to work.

I also had my union rep involved.
Dont give up - talk to the union - check timescales re appealing.

June 18, 2018
A MyFibroTeam Member

thanks

July 2, 2018
A MyFibroTeam Member

Get referred to every medical dept. you can for all investigations, tests, building up reports, regulary see your Gp to let them know how bad you are and that they record this so you will have a long term medical record to submit - I did this.
Your rheumotologist can right a report supporting your difficulties to work - mine did.

June 18, 2018
A MyFibroTeam Member

Yes it is

June 16, 2018
A MyFibroTeam Member

Stress is the worst enemy I think .

June 16, 2018

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Kyle, TX

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Queensland

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In