Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Killeen, TX

I'm starting Lyrica, can I get some pros and cons from anyone. I did say if I see a weight gain I will stop it asap. Has it been any help, if so how? Gabapentin didn't work and cymbalta dose was to low at 60 mg now with that. I hate this disease.

May 31, 2016
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared mixed experiences with starting Lyrica for fibromyalgia, with the most common concerns being significant weight gain (ranging... Read more

Members shared mixed experiences with starting Lyrica for fibromyalgia, with the most common concerns being significant weight gain (ranging from a few pounds to 35-40 pounds), drowsiness, and difficulty losing the weight even after stopping the medication. Several members described how Lyrica helped dull their pain to tolerable levels initially, though many found the relief decreased over time, while others reported troubling side effects including nightmares, mood changes, swelling, nausea, and withdrawal symptoms when doses were missed. A recurring theme was the importance of closely monitoring your body's response, communicating openly with your doctor about side effects like depression or weight gain, and recognizing that medication responses vary widely from person to person.

A MyFibroTeam Member

I take lyrics twice a day 600 mg per day they do help but not to their fullest and now I have been on them for a while I cannot sleep if I forget to take them and they take hours to work x

June 1, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

my doctor was thinking about putting me on this does it actually help is my biggest question

May 31, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

I have been talking lyrica for about 5 years now but i am going to have my doctor take me off of it, it doesn't seem to work as well as it did in the beginning and i have gained so much weight, i started working out but can't lose this weight, so frustrating. Most of my weight is in my abdomen however i have a lot of adema in my hand, ankles and feet. Took Cymbalta for a while dont remember why my doctir changed, i have never tsken Savella. I cant take anti-inflammatories, i get a really bad rash also gabapenten gives me rash. I really wish there was something that could help all of us. Hugs to all.

June 6, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

I took Lyrica for a while, but it had me walking into walls literally

June 2, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

I have heard cymalta is awful and I also heard someone say that Lyrica made her sick. I guess you won't know how it is until you take it. I am so grateful I don't take anything. My pain isn't that bad and it mostly bothers me when it rains. Most of my problems were with my neck. When I first got Fibromyalgia I worked out a lot. I did aquafit and swam and also lifted weights it really helped me, made me stronger and my Fibromyalgia didn't bother me as much. I haven't been doing a lot of exercises because I had trouble with my thyroid and my Fibromyalgia has started being a bother again. So I think exercise is the key, whatever you can do even just a little. Of course I might not have had it as bad as others. Though I have all the points for it. I just don't think the drugs they give you help. Some people have a pain medicine or an anti inflammatory I think. A doctor wanted to put me on Amatriptaline don't know if smelled it correctly but it is an anti depressant that relaxes the muscles, it works well in a lot of people but I did not want it because it slows down your heart to some degree and I thought that would bother my heart. I guess it would depend on the dose.

June 2, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Port McNeill

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Burlington, VT

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
La Habra, CA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In