Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ofallon, MO

My doctor that I work with told me today to take mucinex 1200 mg twice a day. Mayo clinic had done research and wrote a journa about their findings. They say that the guifenesen that is in mucinex helps the pain in the muscles from fibromyalgia. I'm researching it and gonna try it. What do I have to lose. Has anyone else heard of mucinex or guifenesen. Or has anyone else tried it? I'm taking lyrica now 150mg twice a day and tried it three times a day and it really hasn't helped much with the… read more

February 18, 2016 (edited)
 · 
Be the first to react

Answer Summary

Members discussed trying Mucinex (guaifenesin) for fibromyalgia muscle pain after one member's doctor recommended 1200 mg twice daily based on... Read more

Members discussed trying Mucinex (guaifenesin) for fibromyalgia muscle pain after one member's doctor recommended 1200 mg twice daily based on Mayo Clinic research, with reactions ranging from cautious interest to skepticism based on past experiences. Several members shared practical advice, including drinking plenty of water with Mucinex to help it work effectively, being aware of potential interactions with antidepressants, and understanding that results vary widely from person to person. A recurring theme was the ongoing trial-and-error process of finding effective fibromyalgia treatments, with members also discussing alternative options like low-dose naltrexone and gabapentin, as well as common concerns about Lyrica's side effects, particularly weight gain.

A MyFibroTeam Member

I tried the guifenesen program and did not have positive results. That was in the early 2000's when I was first diagnosed. That might have been just me though, I have such a hard time with meds. Everything works backwards on me.

February 19, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

I haven't heard of using mucinex. My doctor has me on a low dose naltrexone. It has helped tremendously. When I have a flare up, I add in gabapentin 900mg. I am able to manage the pain pretty well. The side effects of Lyrica didn't sound like something I wanted to try. My aunt used it and ended up gaining quite a bit of weight and developed depression. Once she went off it, she was able to lose the weight and her depression went away. She said it was not worth the side effects and didn't relieve her pain very well. Hope this is helpful. I know each doctor has their own thoughts about what works. I think it is a bit of trial and error for us.

February 18, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

Maybe it will take a little while to get into ur system :)

March 22, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

Be aware that if you are on any antidepressants that mucinex can have an interaction with them and make them stop working. Also be sure to drink plenty of water while taking mucinex or it will not work.

February 19, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

The pharmacist told me if I take Mucinex to drink a lot of water.

February 19, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Swindon, UK

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Boston, MA

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Wheeling, WV

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In