Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
South Delta

Hi everyone. This is my first post to this page. I was diagnosed 5 years ago but have had debilitating symptoms for years previous.Stress,overtired etc can trigger small flare upsthat last for between 3 days to a week or so however the pain is constant. I am on meds
Here's where I need help. I have a good job which I've been doing for almost 30 years. The hours aren't great & it's stressful. I woke up a month ago & could get out of bed. This is the second large flare I've had in 5 years
For… read more

November 30, 2018
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members rallied around someone struggling with the agonizing decision to leave a 30-year career due to fibromyalgia, with many sharing their... Read more

Members rallied around someone struggling with the agonizing decision to leave a 30-year career due to fibromyalgia, with many sharing their own experiences of quitting stressful jobs or applying for disability and the immense guilt that came with it. Several members offered practical guidance, including cutting household expenses to afford reduced work hours, negotiating flexible schedules or part-time arrangements with employers, seeking disability benefits (noting that being over 55 and having a depression diagnosis can strengthen a claim), and taking time off to assess how much stress contributes to pain levels. A recurring theme was the need to release guilt, prioritize health over societal expectations, and trust that stepping back from work is not failure but self-preservation.

A MyFibroTeam Member

I was in the exact situation with a very stressful full time job that I became so unhappy with. Everyday it seemed my stress levels got higher and higher and my body became more broken. Finally I came home from one day and layed across the bed and cried for one hour straight. My husband reworked our finances and we cut back everything we could financially, like cable, cheaper dinner menu etc. I quit my job and took 2 months off work and WOW!!! My pain levels were dramatically cut in half if not more! I now took a part time job in a different place and I am so much better, physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually!!!

November 30, 2018
A MyFibroTeam Member

I'm at a crossroads of sorts. There will always be these points in our lives. I have to think long & hard about this. I have wanted to find a support group, preferably in person to see that in real life, there are others that are affected.That is why I joined this group. Thank you Paula, the more responses I get, the more I feel normal, within the Fibro "normal"

November 30, 2018
A MyFibroTeam Member

I’m going through the same dilemma. I am a family therapist and had to quit work. I am single, have applied for disability and I understand the guilt especially when it comes to my daughter who thinks that I should work. Like I don’t want to? I didn’t spend 8 years in college to just do nothing but if your job causes stress, you probably need to give it up. Try disability. See a psychiatrist or therapist because I am sure you can get a depression diagnosis which will help you get on disability.

November 30, 2018
A MyFibroTeam Member

Was it difficult to get disability? I have depression anxiety and severe arthritis and fibromyalgia

December 2, 2018
A MyFibroTeam Member

I understand completely. Been there. I’m now retired. I had to quit early and go on disability. I cried so hard. Felt like a failure. The gilt is the worst. I still would love to work some but afraid of having all those feelings you are talking about again which really takes a toll on my health. I don’t think at this point I could work but I miss it. I most definitely felt all those same feelings. I can just tell you what I had to do. Hopefully you will come up with a solution. Maybe work part time.

December 2, 2018

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Killeen, TX

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Glasgow, UK