Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Des Moines, IA

If finances are not a big factor, do you feel that being away from job expectations help our circumstances?
Freeing us up to rest, exercise and follow our own body's cues on a lifestyle that is best for us.

November 29, 2016
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members offered deeply divided perspectives on whether to continue working with a chronic condition, with some finding that work provides... Read more

Members offered deeply divided perspectives on whether to continue working with a chronic condition, with some finding that work provides valuable distraction and keeps the body active, while others described the crushing reality of working 50-plus hour weeks while in constant pain, leaving no time or energy for self-care, physical therapy, or healing activities their doctors recommend. Several members shared that they ultimately left the workforce through medical retirement or disability, describing an initial grief over lost identity and productivity that eventually gave way to peace with managing their condition at their own pace. A recurring theme was that the decision is highly personal and depends on individual pain levels, job demands, and financial needs, with many expressing a determination to work as long as physically possible despite the toll it takes on their bodies and quality of life.

A MyFibroTeam Member

I have to work. That being said-I am not as on point as I was before I got sick. I am OVERWHELMINGLY fatigued. I am foggy at times. It takes me longer to get my work done. Which means I work more hours because the workload expectation hasn't changed and won't.
SoI don't have time to do the things that my Dr says would make me feel better. I can't fit in PT or water therapy or Yoga classes when I work 10 to 12 hours per day.

November 29, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

Yes I haven't been able to work since 1999 money πŸ’΅ was a problem until I was approved for SSDI if I had to work it would be terriblely stressful just to get there and back. Being home 🏑 all the time ⌚ lets me do things at a slow pace. I have mourned the active person I used to be and have finally made peace with my current situation. Now it's my choice of what I'm able to do and when.

November 29, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

I could no longer be creative, focused or as productive at work. When I realized my contributions to the work place and clients were suffering, and with the prolonged recommendations from my doctors, I took a medical retirement. But, it took years to get accustomed to not working-I initially felt I wasn't a productive person...
For me, retiring was the best choice, as the pros outweighed the cons. I had to learn other ways to contribute other than 50-60 hr weeks!

November 29, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

I think it would help me. I spend most of my time away from work trying to build enough energy to go to work. It's hard to make it through most days, but I do. I'm trying to work as long as I can.

November 30, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

Yes, I have to work to supplement my income. I'm always in pain and tired. I am a caregiver for the elderly so I cannot slow down, I have to work at the pace that is needed.

November 29, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Bridgton, ME

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Acworth, GA

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Savannah, GA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In