Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Little Rock, AR

I want to know why they always tell us NOT to stop taking our meds cold Turkey but they have No problem in the world doing it us!!???!! I still have my depression meds other then that I have nothing and they just don't seem to give a flip. I just talked to my family Dr and have to go for a follow up Friday to get My anxiety meds and then they wonder why I'm on edge!!
I swear these people are going to be the death of me!! I haven't even been able to eat in three days.

July 5, 2016 (edited)
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members responded to someone frustrated about having medication access interrupted due to a missed doctor's appointment, clarifying that the... Read more

Members responded to someone frustrated about having medication access interrupted due to a missed doctor's appointment, clarifying that the issue was forced discontinuation by circumstances rather than a voluntary decision to stop cold turkey. Several members shared cautionary personal experiences with abruptly stopping medications like amitriptyline, describing severe withdrawal symptoms including suicidal thoughts, inability to eat for days or weeks, and hospitalization, emphasizing the critical importance of gradual tapering under medical supervision. A recurring theme was advocating for patient rights and encouraging open communication with doctors about medication needs, seeking second opinions when necessary, and using emergency resources if withdrawal symptoms become dangerous.

A MyFibroTeam Member

Please don't do cold turkey find another doctor! Cold tourney on any medications can have long tern effects worse than what you have now. Hang on and be tough with your doctor!

July 5, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

thank be to God that you didn't just stop them!!!! But what a dumb a-- MD for not giving you refills until you can get in to see them. That's wrong of them! And you ladies made me LOL too:) Have a super day or semi-super day:) Hugs

July 6, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

I've been walking around the house saying " No cold turkey, no cold Turkey" and laughing, now I'm getting some very strange looks from my mom,lmao. Maybe I will end up in the hospital today!! Lolol. I'm Kelly by the way, nice to meet ya

July 6, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

I didn't stop cold Turkey on my own and neither did my Dr. We had a family emergency and I had to change my appoingment. The point is I had to stop my meds because of it. The Dr will Not give me my meds until I go see her.

July 6, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

Good question hun... but you know it is very dangerous to stop any antidepressant meds extremely..
Only because it controls our moods and thoughts and as we suffer so much with pain all the time it can be bad .. I found out the wrong way I decided to stop COLD TURKEY and let me tell you it was almost the death of me!!!!
I agree some meds are not meant for us and we realize early on and with Dr. we decide to get off that med.
How ever to the suffering I went through was so bad I ended up in the hospital not wanting to live and that is not in my personality to give up so never do that hun ... I know sometimes the anxiety that we go through is so bad... but you know anyone in our situation would have anxiety...
I do hope everything gets under control it will have faith..
You know your body better than anyone read the signals and tell your Dr. what it is you need ... I'm sure you already do this I just feel for anyone going through this we all know how hard it is to not have an answer and medication after med nothing seems to help but keep strong hun XXOO
People think that saying cold turkey is like stop smoking lol not for us though

July 5, 2016 (edited)

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
North Charleston, SC

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Olathe, KS

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Nottingham, UK

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In