Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I would like positive, humorous dialogue with people who just keep on keeping on but difficult—The mask is always up with a smiley face

5 days ago
 · 
Reactions
A MyFibroTeam Member

Hi Deborah, I'm Sharon I'm 63 and like Vic my Fibromyalgia has gotten worse as I have gotten older. I Understand about friendship and chronic illnesses as I have lost friends because of it too.
Sending warm, comforting and healing love and hugs♥️🤗💞🤗

4 days ago
A MyFibroTeam Member

Welcome Deborah, I’m 74. I’m sorry to say, but I’ve gotten worse with every decade. I’m much happier if I don’t overdo it. I hope your doctor can help you big hugs Victoria.

5 days ago
A MyFibroTeam Member

Good words but—I just went on a trip with friends that I have gotten together with for 35 years—I feel safe with them —then reality of Exactly how I feel “I just can’t keep up” is not an awareness I feel from then. I blurted out at The Table(which I know is bad manners)
how I felt that two of the woman were treating me
I am back 2 weeks now —I was deliriously in a fog and today I can write about this
How do I feel. AWFUL. Wish I had keep my mouth shut my mantra KMMS
To push myself is too hard
I want to but— I need sound judgment—is it my age? Age plus fibromyalgia or what. I have cut almost all my friends off because I just can’t do it —which of course leads to depression. I am under a doctor and psychologist’s care
I try to do everything right(except eating too many sweets) hardly Any alcohol which is a huge change from how I use to be
I would like to find maybe one two or three people that I can start texting to—that would help me greatly

5 days ago
MyFibroTeam

Welcome! First post deserves a first-class response! 🎉

So many people with fibromyalgia know *exactly* what you mean about wearing that smiley mask. Keeping up appearances while quietly running on empty is practically an art form at this point.

Here's something that might resonate — one MyFibroTeam member put it Show Full Answer

Welcome! First post deserves a first-class response! 🎉

So many people with fibromyalgia know *exactly* what you mean about wearing that smiley mask. Keeping up appearances while quietly running on empty is practically an art form at this point.

Here's something that might resonate — one MyFibroTeam member put it perfectly: "Smiling and laughing have little to do with someone's health or pain levels. Those with chronic conditions simply become so strong from all the suffering that, yes, they can still laugh and smile while in pain — which says not that the pain is low, but that the need for relief is high."

That's the quiet superpower nobody asked for, but here we are. 💪 The community here is full of people who truly get it — the pushing through, the humor as survival, and the exhaustion of keeping it all together. You are absolutely not alone in this.

A few things others have found helpful:

- Allowing yourself to laugh loudly and often — it's genuinely good medicine
- Dropping the mask occasionally with safe, trusted people
- Celebrating even the tiniest wins each day
- Being patient and kind with yourself when keeping up feels impossible

5 days ago

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Sheffield, England

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Birmingham, UK