Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Nanaimo, BC

For anyone in Canada going to a pain clinic, do they address an individual's specific pain with prescription meds or with other means? I'm not comfortable with again taking prescription meds for pain.

May 1, 2023
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared varied experiences with pain clinics across Canada, with many describing comprehensive approaches that go beyond medication,... Read more

Members shared varied experiences with pain clinics across Canada, with many describing comprehensive approaches that go beyond medication, including nerve block injections, cortisone shots, epidurals, and radio frequency ablation, along with referrals to physiotherapy and diagnostic imaging. Several members emphasized the importance of communicating upfront with pain clinic staff about preferences to avoid prescription medications, noting that doctors typically respect these wishes and offer alternative treatment plans tailored to individual needs. A recurring theme was the long wait times for pain clinic appointments in some regions, the value of having one primary doctor coordinate all pain management to avoid dangerous drug interactions, and the mixed results members experienced, with some finding significant relief and improved mobility while others felt clinics pushed medications they didn't want.

A MyFibroTeam Member

Hi, I am in ontario. They take an indepth intake on your medical history. For me, I get weekly injections- basically it's anesthetic to numb or quiet your nerves from sending an overload of pain signals to your brain. I also go to a separate clinic for ultrasound injections of cortisone into shoulders, wrists, thumbs and waiting on my neck. I had several ultras I unds and xrays before this was approved.
Hope that helps.

May 1, 2023
A MyFibroTeam Member

I'm not sure that there is one close to me. It's been a struggle to get off pain meds, antidepressants and other prescription meds. My pain and other ailments are mostly under control without prescription meds most days.

May 1, 2023
A MyFibroTeam Member

Ok, I'm not in Canada, but I still think it's valid to say that any pain doctor is going to listen to your requests first. My pain doctor often brings up pain medication, bit he knows that I don't take my pain medication often because of personal reasons. So instead, he offers as many ways as possible to treat my pain. Just like mentioned above, we do injections, epidurals, and radio frequency ablation. I'm sure your doctor would be the exact same way. Good luck!

May 1, 2023
A MyFibroTeam Member

@A MyFibroTeam Member, I was on a list for over 5 years. Let say 5 months ago, I have received a call to check if I want to stay on the list, I told them NO, too long waiting, I found a good Dr. who is taking care of all of my pain. I wish you a success on your journey. It's your life and your body. I wish you to find a very comprehensive DR. or a call from the clinic asap. Take care

May 1, 2023
A MyFibroTeam Member

Sorry I can't help you there Lynne.
I feel they should discuss any means to deal with pain patient by patient.
If said patient wants alternatives to pain meds they should be open to that.
I think they use all means but not sure.
I would say in looking for one let them know up front you do not wish
to go the prescription pain med route again.
All the best πŸ€—πŸ’ž

May 1, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
St Helens, UK

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Apple Valley, MN