I'm considering going on an MAOI and I'm aware there are many dietary restrictions. Different websites offer different suggestions. Has anyone compiled their own list? I discovered that soy sauce is banned and anything with cheese on it such as lasagna or pizza and the consequence of eating something incorrect could land me in the hospital according to the doctor I consulted. Any information would be much appreciated.
Answer Summary
Members rallied around someone considering an MAOI antidepressant, sharing concerns about the strict dietary restrictions required to avoid... Read more
If you don’t mind me asking, why to you want to go on a MAOI? They were the first type of antidepressant developed. They're effective, but they've generally been replaced by antidepressants that are safer and cause fewer side effects, and you wouldn’t have all those dietary restrictions. I feel I suffer enough with foods I can’t have because of GERD and IBS. I wouldn’t want to add more to the list of “I can’t have”
It's great that you're doing research for yourself. When I go online my favorite expert website is Mayo Clinic. I would also follow your doctor's advice if you I have confidence in your doctor.
@A MyFibroTeam Member, thank you. This site is a blessing to have. It's nice to be able to have friends with the same problems that understand and can sometimes help! We can always help with support, and I appreciate yours, too.
God be with you always (of course, he is anyway ;) ).
gentle (((((HUGS)))) and peace.
PS: Since blood sugar levels and diabetes was raised in this thread I thought I'd share an article that came across my "feed" today 🙄😁... it makes so much sense that I'm glad that it was finally researched! Metformin and abnormal eating patterns can finally be discussed in a more balanced way rather than the "one size fits all" approach.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/32722...
I am diabetic now. My doctor has me on a diet which is 60 carbs per meal and 30 carbs for a snack in the evening.