Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Detroit, MI
January 24, 2019
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared mixed experiences regarding appetite during flares, with most reporting decreased appetite and difficulty eating during painful... Read more

Members shared mixed experiences regarding appetite during flares, with most reporting decreased appetite and difficulty eating during painful episodes, while a few noted increased cravings for carbohydrates and sweets. Several members described nutrient cravings as signals of possible deficiencies, with one member explaining how their body craves high-protein foods, vitamin D, and iron during flares, and keeps healthy sweet options like fruit, sherbet, and granola bars on hand in moderation. A recurring theme was the struggle with carb and sugar cravings, with one member finding relief through a keto diet that eliminated carb cravings entirely after about a week, while others acknowledged the difficulty of breaking the sweet-and-salty cycle during flares.

A MyFibroTeam Member

Sometimes, but for me, when I think its an increase of appetite, I've learned/am learning that its more of the NUTRIENT /or VITAMIN craving/possible deficiency. My body craves high, high protein, vitamin D or iron (e.g. meat,/salmon peanut butter, spinach). I've never been a "sweets person", but have noticed a noticeably increased craving for something sweet after my most painful flare days--that's why I keep healthy options (fruit, applesauce, animal crackers/cookies, sherbet, Halo Top or small amts of Bryers Ice cream, granola bars, hot chocolate,etc.) on hand & I do all things in moderation too (mini Jello cheesecakes), but I gotta be careful --Im a pretty good baker don't make my own sweet potato pie too much at all! LOL. Hope this helps!

January 24, 2019 (edited)
A MyFibroTeam Member

LOL Ramona! You know, that sweet potato pie its a Southern-girl thing! I exchange it for baked sweet potato with Truvvia, cinnamon & some butter (margarine is a no-no for us). My late Grandmother taught me well. Having a husband from Trinidad with a strong sweet tooth, & raising 3 sons with healthy appetites--I had to keep the balance!

January 24, 2019
A MyFibroTeam Member

Yes, I know my diet is too high in carbs...especially when I'm in a flare. I keep saying to my self, I'm going to kick this sweet salty addiction..unfortunately I havent found the strength.

January 28, 2019
A MyFibroTeam Member

That's the one good thing about the keto diet! Absolutely no carb cravings! None. It took almost a full week for them to go away, but they are gone. Luckily I still get chocolate but it's not very sweet, but the last batch i made I added whipping cream and it was the best batch yet! Even my hubby liked it. I also added unsweetened coconut shavings and walnuts. Very yummy! Just not sweet.

February 2, 2019
A MyFibroTeam Member

If that's the case I'm craving all the time LOL love chocolate

February 1, 2019

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Charleston, WV

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Bowling Green, KY

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Charlotte, NC