Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Denver, CO

I suffer from terrible, overwhelming at times anxiety, Panic Attacks. Does this go hand in hand with fibro and CTD? I can no longer take antidepressants to control my anxiety. I am afraid to do so many things. I am somewhat agoraphobic but I fight against it all the time.

I have cut sugar (well trying to!) out of my diet. I love sugar but I find it makes my Fibro and anxiety worse.

I am very sensitive to smells and sounds too. I can smell cigarette smoke on a person if I just pass them in the… read more

August 23, 2017
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members connected over the shared experience of anxiety and panic attacks with fibromyalgia, acknowledging how these conditions often trigger... Read more

Members connected over the shared experience of anxiety and panic attacks with fibromyalgia, acknowledging how these conditions often trigger each other and keep the nervous system in constant fight-or-flight mode. Several members recommended natural approaches including magnesium glycinate for calming effects, 5-HTP for mood balance, adaptogenic herbs like ashwagandha and rhodiola for stress reduction, and gentle movement practices such as yoga, meditation, and morning walks to help manage both anxiety and pain. A recurring theme was the importance of not identifying yourself with the anxiety, practicing mindfulness and breathing exercises, and finding compassionate medical support while exploring alternatives when traditional antidepressants are not an option.

A MyFibroTeam Member

I can definitely feel your level of anxiety. It goes hand in hand with fibro and I think they trigger each other. I suppressed my anxiety to a tolerable level with the help of mainly Cymbalta and my fibro symptoms improved. You mentioned that you can't take antidepressants so I can suggest other natural ways and supplements that may work for you.

1) Magnesium glycinate is known for fighting fatigue, but it also helps with anxiety (calming effect) and improves sleep.

2) 5-HTP is a naturally occurring amino acid which is used by the body as a building block for serotonin. Taking a 5-HTP supplement might help to promote healthy levels of serotonin, which is heavily linked to mood balance and sleep.

3) Adaptogenic herb supplements like ashwagandha and rhodiola root are also good at lowering the cortisol levels and reducing the stress, calming and clarifying the mind. Rhodiola is also good at increasing energy and fighting fatigue.

4) Any kind of working out or gentle yoga would help with calming the body and mind. Meditation is also very helpful if you could just spend 10 minutes on a daily basis. It's teaching me to be mindful when the anxiety rises and manage it. Even very simple breathing exercises can be more effective than a medication.

Feeling anxious all the time and constantly being in a fight/flight mode is terrible, I know how it's like. But don't identify yourself with it and breathe.

August 23, 2017
A MyFibroTeam Member

I some periods have more anxiety than others, did a lot of research and sometimes things have helped, look for Ashok Gupta, his program helped me, and also read the book and do the ercercises of David Burns, he is a psychiatrist. Our nervous system is quack and we are on flight or fight must of the time, and our sleep is not restful. I found that learning a lot about all this has hep,ed me a lot. Of course I use medication when in need, but the worst thing is being afraid of fear.

August 23, 2017
A MyFibroTeam Member

Thanks for all your answers. I have very much the same problems as the person you answered for. I didn't know about all the different supplements to take. I do take Xanax but don't want to as I've had a bad experience with it in the past. I will take your suggestions into account. Thank you so much again, I wish you a good day with little pain and soft hugs,
Badkatz

September 22, 2017
A MyFibroTeam Member

Thank you, Amzel :)

September 5, 2017
A MyFibroTeam Member

All that stuff works. I think I go into "Flight or Fight" mode especially during menstruation. I also take Gaba and notice it helps right away. I only eat sugar from maple and dates.... and cut out the morning coffee.
My mind is too busy for just meditation but I do yoga and it seriously helps. All good things Canti mentioned.

September 5, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
England uk

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Alberta, Canada