Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Liverpool, UK

Hi all
When you first discovered that all these symptoms you have, could actually be connected did you go see a doctor and say, I think I may have Fibro? Or did you explain all your symptoms to be told you had it? I really think that I have a lot of the symptoms of Fibro, but I feel stupid going to see my doctor about it. A few of the main factors for me is , muscle , bone pain and constantly feeling fatigued, I never get a good night's sleep and even when I do think I've had sufficient rest… read more

December 29, 2016
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyFibroTeam Member

I was diagnosed 33 years ago (1982) by my doctor. He called it Fibrositis at the time. Not much was known at the time so not much help was offered. Allergic to all anti inflammatories so told by my doctor to take extra strength Tylenol. Been struggling with Fibro and arthritis now constantly but doctor prescribed painkillers so getting some relief for arthritis.
Better to have doctor diagnose you I think that way he would be more inclined to prescribe something to help you. But don't let him put you off either. Living with pain is not easy and the sooner you get help the stronger your mind stays. Hope I'm not overstepping. Just trying to be helpful. Gentle hugs and God bless.

December 29, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

I've been sick since I was 16 (1992)... And my doctors always said there was nothing wrong with me... Maybe a little arthritis in my arms/shoulders... By 2001, my hands and feet had swollen to the point of cracking and still they could figure it out... I had to stop working a good job bc of it... 2008I started doing things and having migraines that put me out of work (mind you I had a good job here too) and was fired bc of the time... Had I known I could've had fmla (basically emergency leave) I would've been o.k... I've have 2 major surgeries, gall bladder removal and hysterectomy and haven't been able to work since 2010 where I lost a food service job for doing food... So in 2015, I went to a pain specialist and explained every thing I had been going through and she finally told me I had it but told me I'd have pain and when my insurance ran out (government assisted) I've been condemned to this pain... Most mornings I am in so much pain I sit and cry dry tears bc my tears have dried up... I'm all messed up... My best to you all... Glad to have this site and to know there are ppl like me...

December 29, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

Thankyou for all the replies everyone, I thought I was going crazy and thinking this thing up, but the more I read your stories, they sound a lot like my own. Xxx

January 1, 2017
A MyFibroTeam Member

Damn good question.
I actually self diagnosed. I've been made very aware that self diagnosis is frowned upon by many, certainly if it leads to self medication (and I don't mean some alcohol or marijuana but drugs that require more careful dispensation) and especially by doctors who I think prefer to keep their monopoly on medical matters.
I'd actually known pain and fatigue (and by extension my limits, which I still stupidly pushed myself far beyond regularly) very well for a long time. My days, the ones I wasn't spending in a state of collapse, were long... from mid morning my various works and chores weren't finished, often until after midnight... and very stressful (that probably explains the steadily increasing rate of 'days of collapse' I had) that was the course I held for years while leaving myself far behind in a constant rush that benefitted or enriched me last, if at all (hence a poor mental state too)
But this new thing that reared it's head 2 years ago was different... like a 100% increase of all my ills practically overnight. I had my arthritis, sciatica, anxiety... every ill flare all at once, all over, all the time for 3 months straight... with a few extra, unexpected new ills and pains thrown in too.
It hit me so damn hard that it took me half a year before I started asking questions and sought answers. I originally believed this was CFS as the fatigue was the worst part (I thought the pain was just an extension of arthritis but worse)
Anyway, once pushed by the severity of the situation I read a lot, waited and tested myself (to be sure it wasn't just overdoing it or a passing thing) asked questions and gained concurrence among those better qualified in their opinions... and finally, a diagnosis... a battle won but not the war.

December 30, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

My former GP's assistant and nurse suggested i get another opinion after several years of medical issues. My naturopath told me she was sure i had fibro, but i didn't want to hear it. Went to another doctor who did lots of tests. She referred me to a rheumatologist - he also said fibro. I would write down ALL your symptoms and see your GP. Please

December 29, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Rotherham, UK

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lebanon, KY

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Cambridge, UK

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In