Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Phila, PA
December 14, 2016
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared a wide range of approaches to managing sleep challenges, with amitriptyline, trazodone, muscle relaxers, and melatonin being... Read more

Members shared a wide range of approaches to managing sleep challenges, with amitriptyline, trazodone, muscle relaxers, and melatonin being the most commonly mentioned medications, though many emphasized the importance of being cautious with addictive substances like Ativan, Valium, and Ambien. Several members offered practical sleep hygiene tips including establishing bedtime routines, taking warm baths, using lavender or scent diffusers, limiting screen time, layering bedding for temperature regulation, and getting up to read or do light activities rather than forcing sleep. A recurring theme was the community's openness about ongoing struggles with insomnia, restless leg syndrome, hot flashes related to fibromyalgia or menopause, and the trial-and-error process of finding what works, balanced with genuine concern for one another's safety and wellbeing.

A MyFibroTeam Member

Warm milk, muscle relaxers, a bit of alcohol, my pain pills, my breathing machine, five pillows around me to keep my spine aligned, just the right height pillow under my head, a memory foam mattress, temp a little on the cool side maybe 68 or so, a blower to make white noise, flannel sheets, a quilt to wrap it all up in, a lack of the insomnia monster for the night

AND

A Partridge in a pear TREEEEEEEE !!!!!

December 15, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

Have a bedtime ritual like meditation or hot bath. Try not to get stressed about not sleeepling. Just try to rest.

December 21, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

My doctor prescribed Melatonin 5mg each night. It worked for me and eventually I didn't need anything. You don't need a prescription from your doctor, as it is available at grocery and pharmacies (near vitamins). It is a natural supplement, there are no side effects. If I am having a restless night, I give it about an hour then I get out of bed and watch TV, read, do some cleaning, etc. until I get tired and then I try again to go to sleep.

My problem is I don't want to get out of bed. I could sleep all the time if I gave in to it. I don't know why. I did have a period of time where I slept during the day and was awake at night, too. I have learned that you can't force sleep. I hope you find a solution. Gentle hugs.

December 16, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

@A MyFibroTeam Member oh please be careful with that medicine , for i was given that after i was raped oh it really messed my mind up ! they say you get back to normal after 6 months of stopping it , for me it was not true !,it did more harm then good ! i will be praying for you to have a restful mind for a restful sleep ! love peace and joy and prayers i send to you ! always michele

December 15, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

Nortriptyline helps me sleep. Sometimes I go to bed thinking "I'm not going to sleep tonight" and it's the last thought I have all night. I take 60mg a day and haven't had any issue sleeping for years, unless I miss a dose. Then I won't sleep a wink. It's a similar drug to amitriptyline, as suggested by someone else

December 15, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Spring, TX

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Tucson, AZ