Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Grahamstown, ZA

Has anyone found that their condition progresses, gradually or suddenly becoming more and more severe? This is what is happening to me and I have decided that if I want to live even a relatively normal life I will need external help, so I have decided to look into getting an electric wheel chair. Has anyone else got a wheelchair and if so do you find that it has made life easier for you? I am getting the feeling from some of my family members that I am throwing in the towel and raising the white… read more

January 24, 2016
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members rallied around someone considering an electric wheelchair due to progressive symptoms, with the overwhelming consensus being that... Read more

Members rallied around someone considering an electric wheelchair due to progressive symptoms, with the overwhelming consensus being that mobility aids are not surrendering but rather tools for reclaiming independence and living life fully. Several members shared practical guidance, including checking with the DMV about permits, exploring used equipment through senior centers or offices for aging, ensuring future homes are wheelchair-accessible, and recognizing that using mobility aids actually demonstrates courage and a fighting spirit to stay active and engaged. A recurring theme was pushing back against family members who don't understand that choosing a wheelchair means choosing freedom, productivity, and quality of life over isolation and pain.

A MyFibroTeam Member

I understand, too, and support your decision. I also have to regularly use a cane and have a regular wheelchair. If I'm honest with myself, I would be able to go to work more often if I had an electric wheelchair. I don't think I truly need one yet, but I can see the day where I will. What your family doesn’t understand is that you're not waving the white flag, you are raising the red one. You are fighting to stay mobile and productive! And this is a brave, brave thing to do. For most of us it's super hard to take that step to use the mobility tools that we really need. Go for it!

January 24, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

You should get the wheel chair. Contact the DMV ask about license or permit for electric wheel chair. Good luck

January 24, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

I have a service dog who helps me move around when I am able to walk assisted, but it's gotten to a point where I can't usually even walk with help, that's usually when I am confined to my bed, and I have just spent the last 3years bedridden, I'm so tired of it. I have tried light excercise, but I always end up comatose for 2 weeks after. It's all very frustrating

January 25, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

I use a cane, sometimes two. I also have a SPARC (handicap) sticker now which helps a bit. I very much appreciate it. How about a walker?

January 24, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

Constant pain and losing weight are not mutually exclusive nor are they mutually caused. They are separate problems. I used to be very active and even then had to watch my weight. Now that I am out of necessity/pain less active, I have to work harder at it. It's true that extra pounds put excess pressure on joints and muscles, but without the help and support (and compassion) of a professional or two it comes down to a choice. You want to be mobile and if that means a wheelchair, go for it girl! Please, please don't let someone take away your dream, your mobility, your happiness. Being in a wheelchair doesn't doom you to maintaining unwanted weight. You can still eat healthy and work out in ways that keep your muscles and joints healthy and your core strong. Get help with that and don't be hard on yourself. I pray your family will see and understand this and be supportive of what will make you happy! Lotsa hugs!!

January 24, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lexington, KY

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In