Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Burlington, VT

I am 23 and recently diagnosed with fibro. A nurse in the family said I could grow out of it because I am so young. I don't believe it. What is your take on this?!

August 15, 2015
 · 
Be the first to react

Answer Summary

Members shared mixed perspectives on whether fibromyalgia can improve with age, with most agreeing it does not go away but can be managed with... Read more

Members shared mixed perspectives on whether fibromyalgia can improve with age, with most agreeing it does not go away but can be managed with the right combination of medications, lifestyle changes, and stress reduction. Several members described their personal journeys, including one who developed fibro at 13 and managed well for years until stopping medication, another who has lived with it since age 25 without improvement, and a member who became a doctor despite fibro and found hope through persistent treatment adjustments. A recurring theme was the importance of finding knowledgeable doctors who will work to find the right medication mix, maintaining healthy sleep and diet habits, and not giving up hope even when the pain feels overwhelming and medical support feels inadequate.

A MyFibroTeam Member

I developed it at age 13 and did very well for many years on a combination of medicines. No one diagnosed me however when I was young.
Low and behold, I got off my meds two years ago and that's one the fibro hit full force. Couldn't walk, excruciating pain, etc.
I wanted to answer this so that you have hope. It may not go away, but with the right combination of medicines and some lifestyle adjustments, it can be managed You always have to watch out for stress levels...

I feel very dumb for getting of the medicines, but I never knew I had it! My advice is to find a good doctor who is knowledgeable about meds and change your sleep, food, stress.
It can be done.
I finished med school and am a doctor. Yes, I'm having a tough time now, but I know the meds will kick in (started in February) and I'm about 60% better and continuing to improve.
Don't feel like it's a death sentence. There is hope and there are treatments!

I hope this helped you!

August 16, 2015
A MyFibroTeam Member

The Rheumatologist that I saw said that younger people have a better prognosis. He said he has had a few university aged patients who managed their Fibro with light exercise and it didn't progress. I don't think it is the case for all younger folks though becuase I have come across plenty of people who have had it since teens or young adulthood and are unable to work. It is probably different for everyone.

August 15, 2015 (edited)
A MyFibroTeam Member

What meds do you take?

September 24, 2015
A MyFibroTeam Member

I am seeing another specialist on the 28th. I am hoping that she will actually help me. The other one just diagnosed me gave me lyrica and sent me on my way. I had to get a damn pamphlet because she told me nothing about fibro.

August 17, 2015 (edited)
A MyFibroTeam Member

What kind of doctor are you seeing now? I remember the doctor at Mayo Clinic who finally diagnosed me and he said it's the RIGHT combination of medicines that helps people get better.
What are you taking now if I may ask. If it's not helping you, you need to ask for more help or see another doctor.

My psychiatrist is the one who manages my fibro and she does a pretty good job. She's the only one who thought to put me on the same meds as I was on before! Go figure.

My hesitation with pain meds is that they actually worsen fibro over time and you get something called increased central sensitivity. That's why I don't take them.

Right now, I'm on Lexapro, Mirtazipine, and Trileptal.

I feel about 60% better and recovering every day.

Please don't give up hope. Everyone's body is different and you need to find the combination that works for you.
It's possible! You may have to try a few different medicines, but the right doctor will help you find the correct mix of meds. Also, sleep, an anti-inflammatory diet, happy activities, and getting some sunlight will help.
We can beat this &@)$!! lol = )

August 17, 2015

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Danville, IL