Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Johannesburg, ZA

It has happened about 4 times over the last 3 years while driving.
I will "look" again and not know how I got from point a to point b. Which is usually only about 5 to 30 meters. But it's got me and hubby worried.( only told him with the last one an few months ago)

February 21, 2015
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members overwhelmingly related to the experience of brief blackouts or mental lapses while driving, with many describing moments of suddenly... Read more

Members overwhelmingly related to the experience of brief blackouts or mental lapses while driving, with many describing moments of suddenly not remembering how they got from one place to another, staring into space, or feeling like their mind went somewhere else entirely. Several members shared medical explanations they had received, including mini seizure activity, dissociative episodes from trauma or stress, tachycardia and heart rhythm issues (with some finding relief through heart ablation procedures), medication interactions, and autonomic nervous system dysfunction, while others mentioned sleep attacks, low blood pressure upon standing, and the blurring line between fibro fog and dangerous dissociation. A recurring and urgent theme was the heartfelt plea from multiple members to stop driving if experiencing these episodes, emphasizing the very real danger to themselves and others on the road, the potential for criminal charges if accidents occur while on medication, and the importance of seeking medical evaluation from neurologists or cardiologists before getting behind the wheel again.

A MyFibroTeam Member

I used to black out alot it would only last a few seconds. My blackouts started in Mt teens I never told.till one day it happened in the kitchen and I couldn't control it like most times. I fell into the stove and daddy took me to the doctor. He told my father I was faking. So I never told anyone else until it happened with my husband in the shower. I felt the blackout coming he ask if I was ok and before I could respond I was out. I woke up on the bathroom floor crying. I was embarrassed. Luckily he was a medic . He said I w as ok and not to cry. He reassured me there was no reason to be embarrassed.

February 23, 2015
A MyFibroTeam Member

I have a lot of fibro fog somedays I didn't remember going to work,didnt remember the drive,i think a lot of it was because of the chronic pain

February 22, 2015
A MyFibroTeam Member

I've been thinking, about these so called blackouts It's not fainting for me it's like my mind goes somewhere else. I think my doctor called it disocialization. I come back to reality, but I'm disoriented where am I and what was I doing.

July 27, 2015
A MyFibroTeam Member

Yup. Better get this checked out. I've been having these little seizures for quite some time now, but afraid to tell anyone. But. The right meds and they are going away, so it is just another annoying symptom, but a very dangerous one. The good news is that if you admit these episodes are happening you can stop worrying about it, get it fixed, and then you can worry about important things like dessert and where you put your glasses.

May 12, 2015
A MyFibroTeam Member

Y'all - PLEASE RECONSIDER DRIVING with these symptoms. It is so dangerous. It only takes a second to ram into another car and kill somenone's child. Or to make your own life that much more painful and harder. I'm not preaching, not judging, just offering the hard option. It is so difficult to give up our independence but, isn't that better than knowing you caused a horrible accident? And, as was mentioned before, you might be charged criminally because of the meds you take. Just really think about it. My city has a bus system that picks up disabled folks and drives us door to door wherever and whenever we need within the city limits. Yes, it does involve a lot of waiting. Also, its very bumpy, but, I know that I never put anyone else in danger. If someone else was driving and blacked out and hit someone you loved, you would see it from a different perspective. Sending hugs and hope.

April 10, 2015

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Greenville, SC

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Worcester, MA