Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Shropshire, UK

I was told 2 days ago that I have Fibro by a rhumatologist. My issue is that they looked a questionaire I filled in and went off of that. I walked into the room and was told "ypu fit the classic profile of someome with fibromyalgia, we're not going to do any bloods/scans/xrays because they would just come back normal." My issue with this is, what if its one of the many other conditions that have similar symptoms? I've had no tests done by my GP prior to this either. Has anyone else had this… read more

January 26, 2024
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members widely validated concerns about receiving a fibromyalgia diagnosis without any testing, with many sharing similar experiences of... Read more

Members widely validated concerns about receiving a fibromyalgia diagnosis without any testing, with many sharing similar experiences of doctors relying solely on questionnaires or physical exams rather than ruling out other conditions through bloodwork, scans, or x-rays. Several members strongly encouraged seeking a second opinion and emphasized the critical importance of thorough testing to exclude autoimmune diseases like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and ankylosing spondylitis before accepting a fibromyalgia diagnosis. A recurring theme was frustration with dismissive medical care, particularly toward women, with members sharing stories of dangerous misdiagnoses and urging vigilance to ensure new symptoms aren't automatically attributed to fibromyalgia without proper investigation.

A MyFibroTeam Member

I will add,, i asked for specific tests to be done,, ie looking for ANA(lupus), rheumatoid arthritus, psoraiatic arthritus, on and on and on,,, the one thing they did find with me is that i do exhibit the HLA-B27 gene which is found in people with ankloysing spondylitus,, which i do not have

January 28, 2024
A MyFibroTeam Member

@A MyFibroTeam Member
Make sure you taper off the Paxil. It's one the hardest SSRIs to withdraw from. 💜

January 27, 2024 (edited)
A MyFibroTeam Member

I did taper off for almost 4 months. I’ve only been completely off for about 7-8 weeks. My doctor put me on Buspirone to help for a few weeks to a couple months.

January 28, 2024
A MyFibroTeam Member

I was told I had it many years ago with no testing.

Right now I’m struggling with going off Paxil after 20 years of being on it. Side effects are cruel. Anyone else gone off antidepressants?

January 27, 2024
A MyFibroTeam Member

It is well documented that women experience diagnoses delays more often than men. Women with MS in particular commonly experienced diagnoses delay of 2 years!

January 31, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Limerick, PA

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
San Francisco, CA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In