Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Little Rock, AR

Along with fibro I have OA. Just recently I've noticed some knots on my finger joints. Their mostly on the joints closest to my fingernails. Some are just on one side and a few on both sides. I have one on my middle joint and now one is on my thumb joint closest to my palm. I went and had blood work yesterday and she ran test for RA, Lupus and Lyme. They all came back as negative so she's sending me to a dermatologist. I'm not exactly sure why though. I sent her a message asking but I haven't… read more

December 1, 2020 (edited)
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members rallied around someone experiencing painful knots on their finger joints, with the overwhelming consensus being that these are... Read more

Members rallied around someone experiencing painful knots on their finger joints, with the overwhelming consensus being that these are Heberden's nodes caused by osteoarthritis rather than fibromyalgia, often hereditary and beginning with itching before hardening into permanent bumps. Several members shared their experiences with treatment options, strongly cautioning against surgery unless absolutely necessary since nodes often return, arthritis can recur post-surgery, and fusion limits finger mobility, while recommending ibuprofen with food, seeing a hand specialist for proper X-rays and diagnosis, and considering newer regenerative therapies like PRP injections. A recurring theme was acceptance and adaptation, with members describing how the nodes may hurt intensely during flare-ups or cold weather but often become less painful over time as joints fuse, and emphasizing that while fingers may twist or stiffen, most people continue living fully independent lives for decades after the knots first appear.

A MyFibroTeam Member

@A MyFibroTeam Member Power
Yes, I was told by a rheumatologist it is osteoarthritis. Then he rudely said, What do u want me to do about it? I never went back. A hand surgeon said he can remove the nodes and help the pain. He will fuse the end joints though. I am a church pianist, so concerned about playing piano with stiff fingertips. I have nodes on all fingers but thumbs.
Years ago a dr removed just the nodes on each little finger (only ones I had at time). It did not help the pain nor stop the progression of the disease.

December 3, 2020
A MyFibroTeam Member

Reading all your comments on surgery hits home for me. Without boring you with details I will tell you I have had seven spinal surgeries over a ten year period. Lumbar and cervical. Some hereditary issues and progressive disc disease aggravated by work and life. With each procedure has come a combination of improvement and other problems. By all means wait as long as possible or avoid surgery altogether is the best advice I can give.

December 5, 2020
A MyFibroTeam Member

It is ostioarthritis. I've had the same thing for years and although it is painful at time over time it becomes less so. It tends to run in families. My father also had the same thing happen. I have three fingers that are now turning at that first joint so they point partially sideways. I also have it in my feet.

December 2, 2020
A MyFibroTeam Member

Hi, Everyone 👋. The first knot I got was on my daughter's high school graduation day in 1998, several years before I heard of Fibromyalgia. I remember it as feeling like a bee sting and the pain lasted along with itching. Over the past twenty some years I have had many knots emerge in the same way, on both hands. I've never talked to a doctor about it because I attribute it to the hereditary arthritis from my mom's side of the family. My twin sister has the same issue but she doesn't have Fibromyalgia, although we suspect that our mom did. Every once in a while an existing knot will act up with itching and pain, sometimes more than one at a time. I hope my information is helpful! And, I'm curious to hear what you learn about your problem ☺️

December 2, 2020
A MyFibroTeam Member

Could just be arthritis, not disabling arthritis, just due to natural aging. I get them in my finger joints as well, It sucks, But it happens.

December 1, 2020 (edited)

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Pietermaritzburg, ZA

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Davenport, FL

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Harrington, DE

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In