Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­

A company called Galt pharmaceutical has achieved approval for a non-opiod medication for musculoskeletal pain!!! Wow!!

I cannot wait to see if my doctor will approve it for me based on my current medications. I also wonder when it'll hit distribution.

Hopeful news, overall πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/news/fda-approves...

Further search shows it being on the market since 2015. I'm confused now. πŸ€”

PS: Just spoke with pharmacist who said she doesn't have it in her list. Thinks it is… read more

July 17, 2020 (edited)
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared excitement about a newly approved non-opioid pain medication, though research revealed confusion about whether it was truly new... Read more

Members shared excitement about a newly approved non-opioid pain medication, though research revealed confusion about whether it was truly new or a reformulation of an older drug from the Korean War era. Several members shifted focus to discuss Nabilone, a synthetic cannabinoid that one member found highly effective for pain management, sharing studies showing its benefits for fibromyalgia sleep and chronic pain with minimal severe side effects. A recurring theme was frustration over state-by-state restrictions on cannabinoid treatments, with members expressing anger that proven natural alternatives remain blocked while harsher chemical medications with known risks to kidneys and livers continue to be approved due to lobbying and political influence.

A MyFibroTeam Member

@AnthonyKennedy ... ok, an update πŸ€— .... Nabilone is a synthetic cannabinoid. Proven in a 2010 study to help FM sleep and taken before bedtime in lieu of amitriptyline, for example. I wonder if I can get it here and cost/insurance coverage. Thx! πŸ€—

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20007734/

PS. Pharmacist suggests checking a CBD dispensary. Iowa isn't as progressive with CBD and MMJ as other states πŸ˜₯😑 which is a serious hindrance to alternative care.

July 17, 2020 (edited)
A MyFibroTeam Member

I started new meds about 2 weeks ago it's called Nabilone 0.5 mg and I find it's the best pain meds I've taken maybe talk to your dr about it

July 17, 2020
A MyFibroTeam Member

Sorry. I just wanted to say, I agree!! Chemicals that they know injure our kidneys and livers are approved, but cannabinoid is banned. It's all about lobbying! They have more money to Libby so they get votes their way! I wish they'd outlaw lobbying!!

July 18, 2020
A MyFibroTeam Member

@staw34 I do not understand why cannabinoids have been blocked by certain states and overseas as well. I watched a doc recently where a young woman with dwarfism with severe pain was told a cannibinoid product could very well help her pain. It is illegal where she lives. This is so very sad.
So , they wish to shove chemicals down your throat ,but somthing natural and proven time and again , they block? Makes me angry for all who could benifit from it.

July 18, 2020
A MyFibroTeam Member

Nabilone for the Management of Pain.
Tsang CC, Giudice MG.
Pharmacotherapy. 2016 Mar;36(3):273-86. doi: 10.1002/phar.1709. Epub 2016 Feb 29.
PMID: 26923810 Review.
Nabilone was rarely associated with severe adverse drug reactions requiring drug discontinuation, and the likelihood of abuse was thought to be low. Although the optimal role of nabilone in the management of pain is yet to be determined, certain clinical practice gu …

2
Cite
Share

Nabilone for the Treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Review of Clinical Effectiveness and Guidelines.
Cowling T, MacDougall D.
Ottawa (ON): Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health; 2019 Feb 20.
PMID: 31553551 Free Books & Documents. Review.
Nabilone is a synthetic cannabinoid that activates Cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1) cell receptors (abundantly expressed in the central nervous system), and has previously been approved for the treatment of nausea and vomiting induced by chemotherapy treatments in Canada …

3

July 28, 2020

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
St Helens, UK

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Hillingdon london