Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Bellingham, WA

Like a bandit in the night fibromyalgia robs you of your energy, sleep, and creativity. But worst of all your identity. I barely recognize the slow moving, half comatose person that lurks in the crevasses of life. Your focus and limited energy is spent waiting for those unbearably painful days to come to a close, always hoping tomorrow will be better
The once strong vibrant person is now regularly reduced to tears
Instead of planning a photography shoot or a wilderness hiking trip, you… read more

April 5, 2019
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members deeply connected over the heartbreaking loss of identity that fibromyalgia brings, with many mourning the vibrant, active person they... Read more

Members deeply connected over the heartbreaking loss of identity that fibromyalgia brings, with many mourning the vibrant, active person they once were while struggling to accept their new normal of limited energy, chronic pain, and a life spent as a spectator rather than a participant. Several members shared specific losses, including missing quality time with children and grandchildren, giving up beloved careers and hobbies like mission trips and outdoor adventures, and facing daily battles with simple tasks like showering or getting out of bed, with some finding small victories in adaptive tools like shower chairs and memory foam cots. A recurring theme was the importance of faith, reframing identity around endurance and resilience rather than past abilities, and leaning on community support to navigate the grief of becoming someone you barely recognize.

A MyFibroTeam Member

@A MyFibroTeam Member,

I understand what you mean about certain chores. Me? I'm only 5 feet tall. The sinks need to be much shorter. And trying to get clothes out of the stacked washer-dryer? A challenge. I have conquered "The Shower Challenge." LOL! Some time ago, I got a shower chair and use for the *inside of bathtub. That's right. I test temperatures of water while turning handles from outside of tub. When feeling comfortable, I pull shower curtain back, turn shower "on," step in tub and sit down. It's the only way I will shower, anymore. *Sitting down.

I hope you have a GOOD and Low Fibro. Pain Weekend--regardless of how slow you go.

April 5, 2019
A MyFibroTeam Member

I can identify with what you are saying. The person who used to go on mission trips and help rebuild people homes is gone. What's left is a person who has to pay someone to put up a porch swing so I spend my summer weekends laying outside rather the in bed. Everyday I wake up and ask myself if this the day that I will feel better? Unfortunately, that day seldom. I can no longer be the person I was. I morn the loss of that person. However, the person I am now looks at life differently. God's plan once had me helping people, but now his plan is for me to allow others to help me. For a person who was independent and never asked for help, I am finding this part of my life hard. But my faith in God is what helps me get through this.

April 5, 2019
A MyFibroTeam Member

It has taken me from my son when he was young missing time with him since I hurt. I became sick prior to his birth. All he knows is mom hurts.. It has taken me from a job I enjoyed. It has taken me from being what I use to be and can be. Your first sentence we can identify with. I'm not my illness I try to live but who I was I miss.

April 5, 2019 (edited)
A MyFibroTeam Member

@A MyFibroTeam Member,

I agree. Like the beds that hospitals, use? Just press the button. They sure were comfortable! Then again, when in the hospital, everything seemed that way. Don't know about now.

I did manage to take a *nap on side porch, Judy! The *Memory Foam on that small cot is so comfortable, that if I do fall asleep (which is rare), it would be there. What I like about sleeping: It's nice forgetting for a while that one does not have pain. This has been only the second time I have fallen asleep on the cot. I'll Take It!

April 7, 2019
A MyFibroTeam Member

Yes, I feel like that all the time. I just don't know what to do about it. I know my health care providers aren't doing their part, but I don't know how to find better ones. And I lack the strength to do so. I'm afraid I don't have the will power either. Is that my fault or is it the illness? I'd welcome feedback on that one.

April 5, 2019

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Brisbane, AU

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Atlanta, MO

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In