Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Cheyenne, WY

I have noticed most people on this site have at least moderate pain most of
the time. My pain seems to be much less severe. I feel very fortunate, but
wonder if others had severe pain from the start, or if it worsened over time?

September 20, 2017
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared widely varying experiences with fibromyalgia pain severity and progression, with some reporting intense pain from the very... Read more

Members shared widely varying experiences with fibromyalgia pain severity and progression, with some reporting intense pain from the very beginning while others described a gradual worsening over time, often triggered or intensified by stress, aging, weather changes, or major life transitions like caregiving. Several members described overlapping conditions including IBS, Sjogren's syndrome, ankylosing spondylitis, anxiety, depression, and cognitive issues like brain fog and memory loss, with many finding some relief through medications like Cymbalta, amitriptyline, or working with pain specialists. A recurring theme was the unpredictability of symptoms, the importance of adapting to each day as it comes, and the shared hope that others might be spared the more severe suffering many have endured.

A MyFibroTeam Member

I have had times in my life (I was diagnosed 20 yrs ago), that my fibromyalgia didn't seem so severe and my life felt somewhat normal. I'm 63 now and I've noticed that as I've aged, my FM has gotten somewhat worse. But what has made it the very worst, was moving away from my old comfortable life to move in with my mother to be her caretaker. This is near the coast and the weather here is more extreme and changeable which affects my having flares more often. Also, I'm under a much more degree of stress and that hasn't helped either. I'm having to learn how to adapt to a new situation.

September 21, 2017
A MyFibroTeam Member

Definitely was severe. I remember sitting, frozen, unable to move, waiting for my staff to arrive at my daycare. I am grateful it isn't like that anymore. Years of trying, repeating therapies, it's manageable....that's a good word.

September 21, 2017
A MyFibroTeam Member

I was recently diagnosed after first being screened for MS. That's when I found out I had Sjogren's syndrome. I chopped everything up to that. From my understanding, I possibly had fibro then with mild flare ups, now they are much more severe.

September 21, 2017
A MyFibroTeam Member

Fibro hit me like a ton of bricks it hurt me right away my pain seems like it gets worse all the time for me exercise makes it worse

September 21, 2017
A MyFibroTeam Member

Thank you, Bev Lee for your reply to my question. What a crazy disease this is, especially when most people seem to have one or more conditions on top of Fibromyalgia!
I can only imagine how nice it would feel for you to have relief!

September 21, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
St Helens, UK

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Apple Valley, MN

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In