Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Olathe, KS

I've been on it around 5years now and it's getting worse. Now on 300mg twice a day

March 28, 2017
 · 
Be the first to react

Answer Summary

Members shared their struggles with weight gain on Lyrica, with many describing persistent weight increases despite maintaining the same diet... Read more

Members shared their struggles with weight gain on Lyrica, with many describing persistent weight increases despite maintaining the same diet and exercise routines, including one member who gained 40 pounds and felt constantly unsatisfied despite actively trying to lose weight. Several members offered practical strategies including switching to portion-controlled frozen meals paired with steamed vegetables, timing small 100-150 calorie mini-meals every two hours to stay in a caloric deficit, using low-calorie options like 20-calorie cocoa mix to manage cravings, and exploring a Paleo diet. A recurring theme was the frustration of needing far fewer calories than before starting the medication, with members finding success by treating the increased appetite almost like an eating disorder and creating structured routines that work within the medication's effects.

A MyFibroTeam Member

It seems to help. But I'm on a lot of other medications now too. So I was thinking about asking my Doctore to decrease it and see if I am able to lose the weight. I have been steady on diet and excercise the entire time so I can only attribute the weight gain to medications.

March 28, 2017
A MyFibroTeam Member

Mine isn't appetite, I've been eating the same as always and it's balanced and appropriate for my energy output. But the weight the last year just jumped

April 12, 2017
A MyFibroTeam Member

It does not need to be every two hours..I just time from when I last ate..i remind myself that it's ok to stop eating, i can eat again soon

March 31, 2017
A MyFibroTeam Member

I gained 40 pounds when I started lyrica. The whole time I was trying to lose, but kept gaining. I feel like I am never full. Then my doctor increased the lyrica because it could help the fatigue. I did not want to gain more. These past months I have been treating my appetite as an eating disorder of sorts. I have strong craving for carbs and sugar..anyway..we started buying mostly frozen meals and foods in individual servings. Dinner is usually a lean cuisine or similar dinner with bag of steamed veggies.(yes the whole bag).total 3-400 calories. The rest of the day I time myself. I eat 100-150 calories or so and then put two hours between mini meals. That way I am burning more than I take in. After dinner I wait three to four hours..I have this great 20 calorie cocoa mix that I use to calm cravings after dinner before my next mini meal. By go to mini 's are string cheese with a rice cake..cup a soup, any 100 calorie packs, a few nuts. A cup of breakfast cereal..I try to keep a semi balanced diet by making sure I hit all food groups. My cocoa and chicken bullion are my unlimited options. If I want cake..I simply cut a small sliver..then wait 2 hours..I should point out that I am on a high sodium diet for another issue..so this is the idea and it can be altered of course. I have lost nearly 15 of the 40 I gained..my husband loves the frozen meal option (I don't cook much anymore)..he has lost weight also..and looks for individual serving options for himself as well. This may not work for everyone..I seem to need far fewer calories than before..it has not been too hard to do..but I have a cheat day every week, but try not to go overboard on them.

March 31, 2017
A MyFibroTeam Member

I've quit all my pills except Paxil n trazodone.
Our weight will always go up n down

March 28, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Pretoria, ZA

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Yuma, AZ

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Shirley, NY