Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Dublin, OH

I'm finding myself In Brain fog and pain After work in my legs and feet . Tying to
Focuse In the dark and some times get flustered or panic. hit a parked car on the side of the curb .I question my self and I freaked out with what happend . I'm not liking this , it hasn't happend I'm a long time .

August 23, 2016
 · 
Be the first to react

Answer Summary

Members opened up about the frightening reality of driving with fibromyalgia, sharing stories of near-misses, accidents, forgotten traffic... Read more

Members opened up about the frightening reality of driving with fibromyalgia, sharing stories of near-misses, accidents, forgotten traffic signals, and moments of nodding off behind the wheel, all caused by debilitating brain fog, fatigue, and pain that makes them feel as though they are driving drunk. Several members offered practical harm-reduction strategies, including limiting driving to familiar routes and daylight hours, splashing cold water on the face before driving, using loud or jarring music to stay alert, and pulling over to walk around the car on longer trips. A recurring theme was the emotional burden of needing to drive to work and support oneself despite knowing the risk, balanced by the relief of realizing this struggle is not theirs alone and the importance of listening to the body and avoiding driving whenever safely possible.

A MyFibroTeam Member

Fatigue does impair ability to drive and leads to fibro fog. Our sensitivity to light also makes night driving difficult. I try not to drive when fatigued or when in a fibro fog but sometimes that is not possible. In those situations I would wash my face and neck with cold water and then have no distractions in the car. I needed the radio to keep me awake so I put it on a station with music that I find assaulting so it kept me on edge but low enough that it wasn't too loud.if you have longer than a 20 minute commute, pull over somewhere safe to get out of the car to walk around it.

August 24, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

I don't like driving in the rain or dark, terrified me x

August 24, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

I'm a terrible driver really feel the brain fog thing x

August 24, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

After a day at work recently I was so much pain when i finished I went over small roundabout and was beeped off the road, luckily no one crashed - frightened the hell out of me😳 I really feel for you xx

August 24, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

I don't drive long distance or anyplace new. A few weeks ago I was driving and forgot what a red light was for! I kept staring at it and by the time I remembered I went thru it! I also fell asleep for a second driving. Luckily no accidents but scared me enough to give up a lot of driving

August 24, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Leonardtown, MD

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
NM

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In