Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people whoโ€™ve been there
  •   People who understand what youโ€™re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

Always suffered with throat infections but over the last 6 months had it 6x or more and lose my voice for wks,so was just wondering if anyone else has this problem,My doctor has referred me to see a ENT and then maybe a speech therapist after,But think it's part of my fibromyalgia...I don't really know what I can do to stop this happening,any help much appreciated ๐Ÿ˜Š

July 23, 2016 (edited)
 · 
Be the first to react

Answer Summary

Members validated the experience of frequent throat infections and prolonged voice loss, with many describing similar symptoms including... Read more

Members validated the experience of frequent throat infections and prolonged voice loss, with many describing similar symptoms including hoarse voice triggered by fatigue, weather changes, or overexertion, as well as painful swallowing and dry mouth that several members attributed to fibromyalgia-related muscle dysfunction. Several members recommended exploring potential underlying causes with an ENT specialist, including checking thyroid function (a common fibro-related issue), testing for GERD or allergies, and considering how medications like Trazodone can contribute to dryness. A recurring theme was the frustration of waiting months for specialist appointments while dealing with symptoms that significantly impact daily life, balanced by hope that proper evaluation could finally provide answers and relief.

A MyFibroTeam Member

I think your doc is right, I often lose my voice and find swallowing painful. its the muscles again I,m afraid..Let the ENT doc advise as I am waiting for the same, my eyes dry up, my nose has no secretion or lubrication and cracks into sores, my ears have no wax and itch deep inside and my tongue soaks up fluid like blotting paper. I,m longing to know if its mucus membranes not working! will let you know but it could be months before I,m seen.

July 24, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

my voice will sound diff. at times like hoarse. Not sure if caused from dry mouth or my allergies. I'm allergic to tons of crap et doing immunotherapy now. Hoping it will help but will take 3-5 yrs for me. esp. since I am highly allergic to 7 grasses et birch trees. When got skin test nurse couldn't believe the size of my welts for those two:( Cough up a lot of mucous too. Then get dx with GERD et I said "ya, I'm sure they saw red et irritation when I'm coughing up thick mucous 24/7:( Dumb...I don't ever get heartburn although I know there's a silent type just think it's my allergies. Maybe wanna get tested for that since you're going see ENT. Good luck hope they find something out for you.

July 24, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

I get this a hell of a lot and suffer from weeks of a bad throat. I would be interested if their was a link. I use to sing which caused me problems more but don't often sing now and still suffer.

July 23, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

My voice often goes hoarse or nearly disappears with weather changes.
No infections though

July 23, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

I Always get Hoarse and then my voice goes when I get Fatigued. If I Overdo something,It's like my voice even gets exhausted! Thyroid can be a Fibro issue, never hurts to check things out. My throat is always scratchy or sore. I'm on Trazadone for Insomnia and Depression, it Really dries out my mouth and throat too! My Rheumy said "You are perfectly describing the symptoms of Fibro" when I asked him about losing my voice and my scratchy throat. Hope this helps a little!

July 23, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question ๐Ÿ’ญ
Columbus, NE

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question ๐Ÿ’ญ
Saint Louis, MO

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question ๐Ÿ’ญ
Cedar Rapids, IA