Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

Has anyone had their driver's license suspended by a Neurologist because of memory loss or "Fibro Fog"?

April 25, 2016
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared deep understanding about the fear of losing driving privileges due to fibro fog, with the overwhelming consensus being that... Read more

Members shared deep understanding about the fear of losing driving privileges due to fibro fog, with the overwhelming consensus being that neurologists typically don't suspend licenses unless someone is a danger to themselves or others, and that self-awareness and personal responsibility are key. Several members described practical strategies including only driving on clear days, writing things down to manage forgetfulness, keeping loved ones informed, being completely honest with doctors about good and bad days, and voluntarily limiting or stopping driving when symptoms feel unsafe. A recurring theme was the importance of self-advocacy and trusting one's own judgment about when it's safe to drive, balanced with the serious responsibility of protecting both oneself and others on the road.

A MyFibroTeam Member

The group is very smart.....I have never been to a neurologist one specialist I have escaped lol. Medical doctor's have algorithms they follow and they will refer to specialist to rule-out other concerns. Because I am ADHD I was able to get a low dose of Adderall XR which helps with focus and concentration even with fibro fog attempts. I realize that I do better in the mornings if I need to drive anywhere. I do not drive in the afternoons, evenings or nights. All of our bodies are different and will respond differently to the symptoms, medications, and natural remedies. I get frustrated sometimes when I can't drive, but I know I am safe and others are too. I don't believe that a doctor can release information unless he feels you are a harm to yourself or others. The important thing is that we know our bodies better than any doctor or specialist. Keep us posted.

April 25, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

Well, I feel for all of you who have had obviously serious problems with fibro fog and maybe some other problems with your memories. We do all have memory and other cognitive issues, but I am not so sure that driving off the road is all fibro related. I think you have good advice to get things checked out. I don't know if any of you were on meds at the time of your accidents, but I had a run in with the back of a truck when I was working and just started on a new medication, I was so exhausted and loopy. There were many times I worried about driving as I also have vision problems on top of the fatigue and meds. I only drive locally these days. Thinking positively, I also have a friend who suffered from seizures and blacked out twice while driving. His license was suspended, but he did get it back once he was on medication that prevented the seizures.

It must have been very stressful to be in an accident or so close to one. I hope you find out what the problems are and are able to continue driving too. We have to let go of so many things with fibro and related issues, I hope that you won't be denied your independence in that way. πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–

May 6, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

@A MyFibroTeam Member and others. Hi thank you very much for the answers, now I know it is what I get every now and then. Short memory drives me nuts, but I have learned to write things down. What really upset me was I almost drove into a runner because I didn't see him. Result when I get into the car I have to just keep telling myself to concentrate. I am getting in a habit of putting certain things in the same place all the time so that I do not loose them
On a lighter note:
If I have to remember a figure from reading the water metre I have to say it all the way back to my paper and pen, now I take paper and pen everywhere. Lucky for my dogs they do not go hungry because they remind me it I haven't fed them. Thank you and Hugs to all Take Care

April 26, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

I don't drive when I don't feel up to it, even though my license hasn't been taken away. I can wait for my Good days and times, though, as I don't work anymore thankfully. I just don't want to cause an accident or anything. When I worked, I spent many days driving to and from work fighting exhaustion and sleep. I was so worried that I was going to cause an accident, and there were many times I wonder how I didn't. Looking at it in hindsight, I think I was more than a little Lucky not be be involved in a second serious accident (the first wasn't my fault but I paid big time. Better to be safe than sorry is that old saying, but it's so true. You are too precious to risk your life, or anyone else's πŸ’–πŸ’–

April 25, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

A different view point. We are talking about the possibility of lives being saved--or lost.
This October will be 65 years that I've endured epilepsy. And except for a very brief time of about 5 years (which I was much grateful for), I have not been permitted to have a driver's license. And many other things that society judged me for. Tomorrow, I go to DMV to get an ID, only, while seeing many leave with a privileged driver's license. In any case, if a neurologist says one cannot drive, it's for a good reason. Those who already have the *privilege to drive need to get in the back seat and consider what it *is like for many others. Never or seldom having such a privilege! Thank The Lord for those times **and the FREEDOM you HAVE had. And if the neurologist says to NOT drive, then DON'T. You could very well be keeping yourself or others from getting killed. **Deal With It!

April 25, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
New Windsor, NY

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Limerick, PA