Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Cumberland, MD

So I was told that my weight gain and I wat I eat can cause fibro ans that fat people are more prone to getting fibro now I have other health issues besides this but has anyone else heard this ? I feel like it's my fault I have this :(

January 3, 2017
 · 
Be the first to react

Answer Summary

Members firmly rejected the claim that weight causes fibromyalgia, with many sharing that they were thin or even children when symptoms began,... Read more

Members firmly rejected the claim that weight causes fibromyalgia, with many sharing that they were thin or even children when symptoms began, and that weight gain often came after diagnosis due to medications like Neurontin or reduced activity from pain. Several members offered compassionate guidance, urging the original poster not to blame themselves, to be wary of people trying to sell products or make unsupported claims, and to focus on self-care through anti-inflammatory diets and gentle movement when possible. A recurring theme was that while losing weight may help reduce pain or inflammation, fibromyalgia itself has no known single cause, and loving yourself enough to pursue health without guilt or shame is what truly matters.

A MyFibroTeam Member

No such thing! Eating does not cause fibro. I don't know who told you that but if it is your doctor you need to find a different one.

January 3, 2017
A MyFibroTeam Member

@A MyFibroTeam Member yes I know but I also suffer from major depressive disorder and anxiety to name a few so it's a lil more complicated for me than that I wish it was that easy. thank a you for the feedback :)

January 11, 2017
A MyFibroTeam Member

Most docs just try to find something to blame for the fibro. The truth is no one knows for sure. Don't let docs treat you like that. The best thing to do is read everything you can on fibro. I have known very thin people all the way to obese people That have fibro.

January 6, 2017
A MyFibroTeam Member

wow thank you all and no it wasn't my doctor it was a lady on fb who is involved with all natural ways of losing weight and gettin healthy. she said I probably should to a thyroid detox all honesty I have never heard of this before so Def gonna do research but I have more health issues than that so I also have to watch it. My weight gain is be cuz of Nuerontin I have gained 100 pounds so I don't take that anymore and I will be seeing a nutritionalist per my ob dr .I appreciate all the replies and feedback is appreciated thank you very much my Fb friends

January 4, 2017
A MyFibroTeam Member

No way!!! I'm 125 pounds and feel fragile. I have it. That's just not correct. Don't blame yourself for this. It's not our faults. God Bless!

January 3, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Mobile, AL

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Middleburg, FL

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In