Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Cincinnati, OH

I was officially diagnosed yesterday with fibromyalgia after eliminating all other possible conditions. I work for an insurance company and they believe fibro is psychological and many coworkers don't believe it exists. I am afraid to tell people I have it which I find very upsetting. My coworkers are like family and it's common for us to discuss our lives. They watched me suffer for months before this diagnosis so they ask what the doctor said. This is difficult.

Does anyone have any advice… read more

January 22, 2016 (edited)
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members rallied around someone newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia who feared judgment from coworkers who dismiss the condition as... Read more

Members rallied around someone newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia who feared judgment from coworkers who dismiss the condition as psychological, with many sharing their own experiences of being doubted by family, colleagues, and even medical professionals. Several members offered practical strategies, including printing research from the National Fibromyalgia Association or WebMD to educate doubters, calmly responding to skeptics by saying the pain is very real or that they're lucky not to understand it, and filing for FMLA protection as a safety net. A recurring theme was the importance of prioritizing self-care without guilt, finding solidarity in this community, and recognizing that those who dismiss fibromyalgia simply lack understanding rather than deserving lengthy explanations.

A MyFibroTeam Member

Vicki, I have two suggestions: 1) read and copy from WebMD and other online sites the facts of fibromyalgia--there are also Fibromayalgia organizations--and give each of your co-workers a copy. What they do with it is up to them be it trash, paper airplanes, scratch paper. 2) I learned something from someone I wish I could give credit to, but have forgotten who it was. They said "Those who know me know, and those who don't don't matter". You will learn to identify stressors and eventually find your new normal. You are now your priority--no guilt, no excuses, no explaining. A sweet comment to doubters is "I know you don't undertand my condition, but just know I'm happy for you that you don't have it." Meanwhile, join the rest of us as we raise awareness and educate medical professionals, loved ones, ourselves, the general public. May 12 is National Fibromyalgia Awareness Day. You can order keychains, or buttons, or shirts, etc. from various websites if you are so inclined. Heart disease and cancer were not always well-known and understood conditions either. We have to start somewhere. Lotsa love and hugs to you and keep sharing with MyFibroTeam. We are here to help, listen and support each other!!

January 24, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

You have no cause to feel ashamed or stigmatized. Fibromyalgia is a real, physiological condition, but one that has many components and no known cause or cure, so some people think it's all in your mind. If people ask, tell them flat out what you have. If they scoff, tell them they should spend a day in your body before they dismiss you so easily. Do some research (just Google it) so you have facts and information at your fingertips, ready to explain things to them. Also let them know that you're learning as you go. Be proactive, not reactive, and you should do fine. If they still have a problem with it, it's on them, not on you.

January 22, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

Judee, thank you so much for your words of wisdom! It brought me to tears. That's a great idea. It's been so hard for me to accept as I "grew up" in the insurance world that doesn't believe it exists. Maybe it happened to me so I can change their minds and help others who have it. They have all seen how bad I have felt and what I'm going through. I have worked there almost 28 years and have called in sick 2 times. I have always worked through illnesses. Even during this horrible beginning of this I have not called in sick. Some days I was in tears or holding my head up but I was always there working as hard as I can. Tomorrow I'm going to ask for FMLA paperwork which is handled by my team also. My manager is going to freak out as they really rely on me but I feel I need it just in case. I'm not getting younger and it may get tough to keep it up. Hopefully I won't need to use it. I really appreciate everyone's advice and support!!!!

January 24, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

Fibro appears differently in different people, and, yes, it is exacerbated by stress. I, too, did not have a traumatic event that brought it on, just a sudden, inexplicable blinding pain that doubled me over and never went away. I know it's easy to say, but try not to be depressed. You're here and talking to us, which is a really good thing, and it will help us all get through our ordeals.

January 23, 2016
A MyFibroTeam Member

Go to the National Fibromyalgia Association website, and do some research. It not only has a lot of info that you can print, but it also shows all of the conditions which are now associated with fibro. It could be that at least one of your co-workers has it also and either doesn't know or is afraid to tell anyone. Please know that you have all of us here if you need us! Gentle hugs

January 22, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Leicester, UK