Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyFibroTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
San Diego, CA

For the year and a half I was on Cymbalta, I was talking and yelling in my sleep. I had such vivid dreams too, and kicked the side of the bed so hard (was being attacked in my dream) my heel still hurts months later even though I didn't wake up at the time. I only know because my fiance tells me of my nightly sleep adventures the next day!

I recently stopped Cymbalta, and my sleep had been much calmer and quiet. Just curious if that's something common.

December 27, 2015 (edited)
 · 
Be the first to react

Answer Summary

Members overwhelmingly confirmed experiencing vivid dreams, nightmares, sleep talking, and even physically acting out while taking Cymbalta,... Read more

Members overwhelmingly confirmed experiencing vivid dreams, nightmares, sleep talking, and even physically acting out while taking Cymbalta, with several sharing stories of yelling loud enough to wake partners, kicking, punching, or injuring themselves during dream episodes. Several members found practical relief by taking Cymbalta in the morning instead of at night, using a CPAP machine for better sleep quality, or sleeping in separate rooms to avoid disturbing their partners, though some stopped the medication entirely due to unbearable side effects. A recurring theme was the difficult balancing act of weighing medication benefits against disruptive sleep disturbances, with members acknowledging that while the side effects were real and often distressing, pain management sometimes required accepting trade-offs.

A MyFibroTeam Member

I take my cymbalta in the mornings and sleep is much better. My GP advised this when I complained of not being able to sleep after taking 10mg of Ambien every night. No more crazy dreams either. Hope this helps someone :)

December 29, 2015 (edited)
A MyFibroTeam Member

@A MyFibroTeam Member. I'm with you! Those FM meds are horrible. I couldn't think or walk straight while taking cymbalta, lyrica, neurontin. I'm taking Tylenol, cyclobenzaprine, and Vicodin for really bad pain. Also taking turmeric.

December 28, 2015 (edited)
A MyFibroTeam Member

I did, and didn't take it for very long, the nightmares were far to realistic and would wake with my heart beating from fright! I'm not able to take any of the FM meds. Either side effects like the flu, or sleepwalk, they need to come up with something else! Instead I take a NSAID for OA, pain med, muscle relaxers, melatonin for sleep.

December 28, 2015
A MyFibroTeam Member

Same for me. My husband told me I was kicking in my sleep and that I told him I was fighting . . . With Superman!

December 27, 2015
A MyFibroTeam Member

I have never screamed in my sleep with Cymbalta but I do have vivid dreams. Have hurt myself sometimes. @A MyFibroTeam Member they have a new cpap mask that barely puts any pressure on the face. Makes a difference. I couldn't use my mask for months before I went to my pulmonary doctor and got the new mask. Now I can sleep with it and get better sleep.

December 27, 2015 (edited)

Related Questions

View All
A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Cape Town, ZA

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Manchester, UK

A MyFibroTeam Member asked a question 💭
Millersburg, OH